Friday, June 17, 2011

Kitchens

I am taking a little detour in what I normally blog about (Sims).  I understand if you want to skip this post and just check back next time because today I'm going to talk about our kitchen.  Jason and I have finally decided it is time to do something about our sad, dated kitchen.  (Well, it's been time for a change since we moved in, but we are now going to actually do something about it.)
We're exploring all of our options: new cabinets or refacing.  We've even had a refacing company come to the house to give us an estimate.  He was there for a little over 2 hours as we picked out cabinet doors, paint color/stain, glaze for the cabinets, countertops, and hardware.  I was so sure about the cabinets, paint and glaze that we chose.  It was exactly what I had been imagining.  Or was it?

The next day I started looking at all my inspiration photos and realized that the ones I really love don't have the overally detailed painted cabinets with a glaze like we chose.  They are simple with no glaze at all.

I have always loved intricate details on cabinets (and on furniture for that matter), but it seems that my style is shifting.  This is what I call Darwinism of Style.  It's constantly evolving, and the more inspiration photos and design blogs I peruse the more it changes.  How do I pinpoint my ever-changing style to make such a big decision?  I'm not talking about a cute pair of shoes that I can wear this season but not wear again, if they don't fit my style next year.  This is a kitchen!  And kitchens aren't cheap, let me tell you. 

So we've decided to get a kitchen designer to help with the design part, which is what we were thinking about doing originally anyway.  Then we'll see.  In the meantime, I'll keep drooling over these pretty kitchen photos.

From Pinterest
From Pinterest

From Pinterest
From Pinterest
These are all from my Pinterest account, where you can see all of my kitchen pretties (plus other things).  If you're like me and have a huge notebook of torn out magazine pages that you keep for inspiration, Pinterest is a really nice way of doing that online.  Plus, you can look at what everyone else thinks is pretty, too.

1 comment:

  1. Yes please! Based on these images, I think our kitchen sensibilities are pretty similar. We're having fun setting up our kitchen around the existing elements now (save for the whole new floor issue), but I really can't wait for the day when we design from scratch. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete